Finally, you can now install TWRP custom recovery on either Redmi 5, 5 Plus, or 5A using only a single hit of a button on your keyboard. Meed TWRP Flasher Toolkit, a Windows-based tool to flash the official Team Win Recovery Project easily and automagically. The tool is developed by a member of MIUI 9 Alpha Team from Indonesia, Fendy Perdana. With this single tool, anyone can now have TWRP flashed on any of three Redmi 5 devices. Nevertheless, the only drawback of his tool is that it is currently available in Bahasa.
Luckily, you can put this drawback aside since you don’t have to read the instruction. All you have to do is simply connect your phone, launch the tool, and choose 1 or available 3 options.
- Option #1: for Redmi 5
- Option #2: for Redmi 5A
- Option #3: for Redmi 5 Plus
- Option #0: Exit.
Please keep in mind that TWRP is built very device specific. That means if you choose the wrong option may lead your device into a bricked state. Please be caution on this one.
Additionally, a general rule of flashing custom recovery also applies here. Your phone bootloader should have been unlocked prior using this tool to flash TWRP on your device.
How to use this tool
- Follow our previous guide on how to unlock MIUI bootloader officially.
- You have to also install Xiaomi USB driver. This can be achieved either by installing Mi Flash Tool or Minimal Fastboot & ADB driver.
- Download the Flasher Toolkit from the link above to your computer. Extract the RAR file. WinRAR or 7zip will come in handy for this task.
- Now enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging Option on your phone. You should have already done this when you attempted to unlock the bootloader. However, you may need to double-check it just in case if you have turned it off – read here on how to do it.
- Connect your phone to your computer using its USB cable. Make sure you use a USB Data cable and not a charging-only cable. Moreover, also make sure it is connected in MTP Mode.
- Once connected, go to the folder of where you have extracted the Toolkit. Find and double-click a file named “TOOLKIT.bat” – it usually displays as “TOOLKIT”.
- You will then see a message as shown in the screenshot above. Choose the correct option either 1, 2, or 3. Type the number and hit Enter button.
- Hit any button on your keyboard to start flashing.
- The tool will then reboot your phone into Fastboot mode.
- Sit tight and wait for the tool to do its job.
That’s it. Congratulation, you have successfully and easily flash TWRP on your Redmi 5 phone.
One more thing, the tool flashes the official version of TWRP. Therefore, you have to first install DM No Verity Disabler tweak or Lazy Flasher tool via TWRP (at the first time you boot into TWRP). Failed to do so may cause your device bootloop.
Caution! This tool is for Redmi 5 variants but not for Redmi Note 5A.
More stuff like this in your inbox
New tips, tricks, interesting apps and tools. No spammy messages. Give it a try, you can unsubscribe anytime.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.