This tutorial will guide you how to update any Xiaomi phone (like Mi 6, Mi 5, Redmi Note 4, Redmi 4, Redmi 4X, Redmi Note 3, etc) into latest version of MIUI 9 which is based on Android 7.1 Nougat. As usual, it is better to start from the understanding that Xiaomi always rolls two builds MIUI ROM: the Fastboot ROM and the Recovery ROM. Each build is made for two variants: the Global Stable and Global Beta (Developer) ROMs. Yet, there are also the China version of each ROM. To list them down, here are all available MIUI ROMs:
- China Stable (Recovery and Fastboot)
- China Beta / Developer (Recovery and Fastboot)
- Global Stable (Recovery and Fastboot)
- Global Beta / Developer (Recovery and Fastboot)
Therefore, it is important to find out or to understand on which build your Xiaomi phone is currently running and on which build you want to upgrade your phone to. For example:
Currently installed: MIUI 8 Global Beta ROM v18.104.22.168
I will upgrade to: MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM v7.10.12
Knowing that will be very helpful to choose proper way and method to upgrade your phone.
In this article, you can read the fastboot method to update a Xiaomi phone from MIUI 8 (or lower like from 7 or 6) into MIUI 9. This Fastboot method requires you to download the fastboot variant of the ROM which is usually packed in .tgz extension. Using the appropriate file will help you a lot to avoid error or bricked device.
When should I use this method?
- If you want to completely reset your phone into factory setting
- If you want to use easiest solution for your bricked device
- If your device is in bootloop
- If you want to upgrade to Global/China Beta (Developer) ROM from a Stable one.
However, if you don’t have any of those reasons or if you just want to upgrade the MIUI version to latest one then we strongly suggest you to go with OTA Update or Recovery method. For example, if you amost re currently running MIUI 8 Global Beta ROM and want to upgrade to MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM, the Recovery method will be much more easy and simplest.
Also read: How to flash MIUI Recovery ROM.
Some known devices to have the MIUI 9 update and supported to update are: Redmi Note 4 MTK, Mi 6, Mi Note, Mi Note 2, Mi 5, Mi 5s, Mi 5s Plus, Mi Max, Mi Max Prime, Mi Max 2, Mi 2/2S, Mi 3, Mi 4, Mi 4i, Redmi 2, Redmi 2 Prime, Redmi 3, Redmi 3S, Redmi Note 4G, Redmi Note Prime, Redmi Note 4, Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm, Redmi Note 3 Special Edition, Redmi Note 2, Redmi 4 / 4X, and more devices will get MIUI 9 update soon.
The most important thing for you to do is to backup all of your important data including Contacts, Messages, Photos, Videos, Apps, and so on. Upgrading through this method will wipe your data. Moreover, backing up is necessary just in case if anything goes wrong or if your phone becomes bootloop, bricked, and broken.
Download all necessary software :
- Appropriate version of MIUI Fastboot ROM depending to your Xiaomi phone variant. The file should end with .tgz extension. Browse around at official MIUI download page or use search form above.
- Latest version of Mi Flash tool.
- Make sure your phone’s bootloader has been unlocked officially. Otherwise, you have to firstly apply for bootloader unlocking permission from official Xiaomi website.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. Of course you have to firstly enable Developer Options since this option is available there. Follow this sequence: Settings >> About phone >> Tap on MIUI version 7x (or more). That will activate Developer Options. Now go back >> Additional Settings >> Developer Options>> Enable USB Debugging (toggle it on). Moreover, if you see USB Debugging (Security Settings) option then you have to enable it and accept all displayed warning.
- On your computer, disable driver signature enforcement. Follow our previous guide on how to disable Windows 7, 8, 10 Driver Signature Enforcement mechanism.
- Install Mi Flash tool you’ve downloaded. During installation, there will be a chance that your computer asks you to firstly install .NET Framework, if that is the case, just download and install necessary .NET Framework.
- Extract the downloaded MIUI Fastboot ROM .tgz file. Winrar or 7zip may come in handy for this task. (see p.s. part)
- Prepare the USB data cable. Using the original/stock cable – the one shipped with your phone – is strongly recommended.
- Make sure your phone as at least 75% battery power remaining.
- Do full data backup before Full Wipe
- Full Wipe is required to switch from Beta/Dev ROM to Stable ROM
- Full Wipe is required to switch from Stable ROM to Beta/Dev ROM
p.s: Some users usually get error while extracting on Dekstop because of spaces in the username of PC or the folder name path. The users should put the ROM in C drive in a folder without spaces (e.g C:\ROM\). Important: also do not change the name of original folder.
Flashing MIUI 9 Fastboot ROM
Step 1 – Assuming you have enabled USB Debugging on your phone. Now turn off your phone completely and then reboot into fastboot mode by pressing Volume Down (-) and Power button simultaneously until the Fastboot Bunny logo appears.
Step 2 – Connect your phone with your computer using its USB cable.
Step 3 – Next, open up Mi Flash Tool you have installed previously. Just double-click on the “XiaomiMiFlash.exe” icon in your Desktop.
Step 4 – Click “Select” button >> locate / browse for the extracted MIUI Fastboot ROM. Choose the folder name which is 1 upper level of “images” folder following by clicking the “OK” button (see screenshot pic below).
here’s another example:
p.s: pics are for illustration only.
Step 5 – Make sure the “Clean All” option in the bottom of the Mi Flash tool is selected.
Step 6 – Now click the “Refresh” button and make sure Mi Flash Tool can detect your device.
In some cases it will display either your device code or the port your device is connected to.
Step 7 – Now select your device in the Mi Flash tool and finally hit that “Flash” button in the top right-hand corner of the tool. Now just sit tight and wait for the tool to complete the MIUI flashing process. Please make sure you don’t interrupt with the process. Don’t ever move your laptop and your device. Also please don’t touch the USB cable or the USB port to avoid errors during the flashing process. Just sit tight, wait and have a cup of tea or coffee if you want.
Step 8 – Once done, you will see the result shown as “Success” with green highlight. At this rate, your device will automatically reboot.
Please keep in mind that initial system booting after ROM flashing shall take place longer than usual.
Congratulation!! You have successfully updated your Mi / Redmi phone into new version of MIUI 9.
Image has been resized. Click on it to view larger version.
What if the install process does not go well? Please make sure the path of the ROM file in Mi Flash tool is correct. Also make sure your phone is really in Fastboot mode when flashing. If the errors still occur, try choosing the “flash all” or “flash all data and storage” option. If the problem still persists, you may also try using different USB cable. In some cases bad cable or bad port can also prevent the success of flashing process.
However, you might also want to follow our previous guide with slightly different steps on how to flash MIUI Fastboot ROM here.