This article shows you exactly how to easily and successfully import a .mtz file of MIUI theme downloaded from third-party sources on your phone. This method works on almost any MIUI devices from Redmi series (Redmi 4, 4A, 4X, 5, 5A, 5 Plus), Redmi Note series (RN3, RN4, RN5A, RN5, RN5 Pro), to all the flagship series (Mi 4, Mi5, Mi 5X, Mi 6, Mi 6X). We post this tutorial because we believe there are still many Mi Fans out there who do not understand how to use the .mtz file properly and apply the theme to their phone.
As a refresh, basically, Xiaomi has included Themes app within every MIUI device. This app works as a Theme Store that contains free and paid themes along with a bunch collection of stunning wallpapers collection. Initially, users can either browse themes directly or import a theme’s .mtz file within that app. However, they (MIUI Dev Team) decided to change this feature and allows only registered Designer to import their .mtz files.
Check: SGS9+ MIUI Theme.
Fortunately, there is a workaround allowing ordinary (A non-designer) users to use any cool MIUI theme directly by installing any .mtz files they want. This is an exciting news for those who look for a way to fix “Themes from third-party sources are not supported errors” that appears when users tried to import the theme file directly from MIUI Themes manager app.
The advantages of using Mi Theme Editor app:
- The app requires no root access.
- It can be used to change MIUI Themes with no limit.
- It is very easy to use.
- It can be used to change many parts of the MIUI user interface like Status Bar, fonts, icons, and so on.
- First, download the latest version of Mi Theme Editor app.
- Install the app on your phone.
- Once installed, open app the app.
- The app will ask for permission to access Photos, media, and files on your device. Tap on “Allow”. This is for the first time only.
- Tap on the “Browse” button.
- Look for the .mtz file you have downloaded, select it, and click OK.
- Tap the big “Start” button.
- Tap on “Next”.
- Finally, tap the “Finish” button.
- Do you want to install it? Tap “OK”.
- Now open up the default MIUI Themes app.
- Go to your profile by tapping on the circle icon at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
- Tap on “Themes”
- The newly imported themes will be there.
- Tap on it and tap the green “Apply” button.
- The theme will be installed. Once done, reboot your phone.
Please note! Since MIUI 9.5.x, the MIUI Dev Team has permanently disabled this feature again in most devices. Therefore, you will have to firstly flash a patched version of Mi Themes app. The patch is built very specific according to your device variant and its MIUI version.