This guide tells you the complete and proper steps to root Xiaomi Redmi 5A (codename Riva) on MIUI 9 Android 7.1 using TWRP and SuperSU. Despite this article is posted for Nougat-based MIUI, it would be possible to also work on the future version such as Oreo-based Android.
Please be aware that the tutorial is not for Redmi 5 or Redmi 5 Plus. Make sure you have the correct device or otherwise it may lead you in the wrong direction. Moreover, since rooting may void your phone warranty, please make sure you fully understand any risks that may occur as the impacts of the rooting Android device. We hold no responsibilities for any damage that might happen to your phone.
These are all that you are going to need:
- A Xiaomi Redmi 5A device (codename Riva) – NOT Redmi 5 or Redmi 5 Plus.
- A Windows-based laptop / PC. We strongly suggest you to use Windows 8/8.1/10 with 64-bit system.
- Download either Mi Flash tool or Mi PC Suite.
- Download Minimal Fastboot & ADB Driver.
- Download latest version of TWRP for Redmi 5A and extract it.
- Download Windows Driver Signature Enforcement Disabler tool and extract it.
- Download DM No Verity disabler tool – do not extract the zip file.
- Download latest version of SuperSU flash-able zip file – do not extract this file.
- A compatible USB data cable. Make sure it is a USB data cable and not USB charging cable only or you can simply use the one comes with your device.
- Your phone should have enough juice. Make sure it has at least 65% battery power remaining.
- A spare time of your life which is not more than 30 minutes.
Steps to Root
Step 1 – The bootloader of your phone needs to be unlocked officially. Please read our comprehensive guide on how to unlock MIUI bootloader on Redmi 5A. You can skip this if you have done it.
Step 2 – First thing first, you need to disable Windows Driver Signature Enforcement on your laptop or PC. Doing this step is easy. Simply extract the zip file and run the “DRIVER_SIGNATURE_DISABLE.bat” file. Alternatively, if you want to do it the geeky way, you may also follow our previous tutorial.
Step 3 – Now you will need to install Mi Flash tool. This is a special software to flash MIUI ROM. However, in this case, you need to install this tool only for obtaining the Xiaomi USB driver included within its package.
Step 4 – Next, install the Minimal ADB & Fastboot files. This will be installed in default location which is at “C:\adb”
Step 5 – Now follow our previous detailed tutorial on how to flash TWRP custom recovery on your Redmi 5A phone.
Step 6 – Transfer the downloaded SuperSU .zip file into your phone (or you may download it directly from your phone’s browser)
Step 7 – Turn off completely your phone. Once it is off, press and hold the Power button and Volume Up (+) button simultaneously. This will reboot the phone into Recovery mode; which in this case is TWRP.
Step 8 – Next, tap the Install button from the main menu of TWRP.
Step 9 – Find and choose the SuperSU .zip file that you have copied earlier.
Tap on its name to choose it.
Step 10 – Next, do the “Swipe to confirm flash” action. This will initiate the flashing process.
Step 11 – Once done and successful, tap the “Reboot” button. This will reboot the phone into normal mode.
Step 12 – That’s it and congratulation. Your phone is now rooted. You will see SuperSU app’s icon displayed in your screen. The app is necessary to control and to manage all root access in your phone.
Enjoy! Do not hesitate to drop a comment below or share this article with your friends if you liked it. Thanks