Have you found out how easy it is to install TWRP Recovery and finally to gain root on your Xiaomi Mi 5S device? Well, in case you haven’t, here in this page you will see the easy way to automatically flash TWRP ZCX Recovery onto your Mi 5S running latest MIUI 9 based on Android 7.0 Nougat. Once you have TWRP installed, it becomes one-step away to get root access.
Xiaomi Mi 5S is the upgraded version of hist brother Mi 5. Featuring similar features with slightly better hardware, the Mi 5S is equipped with Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 821 chipset, Quad-core (2×2.15 GHz Kryo & 2×1.6 GHz Kryo), and Adreno 530 GPU. Firstly announced on September 2016, the phone was initially shipped running MIUI 8 based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow. However, Xiaomi has rolled out its MIUI 9 which is based on Android 7.0 Nougat for this phone. Now let’s see how we can root Mi 5S with no hassle.
- Make sure your Mi 5S phone is already bootloader unlocked. It is easy and free to apply for bootloader unlocking permission from MIUI website here. Otherwise, you may not be able to install custom recovery.
- Make sure you have installed Xiaomi USB Driver. The needed driver is basically included within Mi Flash Tool. You do not need to install it again if you have installed Mi Flash Tool. This is necessary for your computer to recognize your phone. You can download Mi Flash Tool here.
- Now you need to also enable USB debiugging feature on your phone. Simply follow this sequence: Go to Settings > About phone > Tap MIUI Version 7 Times (You are now developer), and then back to setting > Additional settings > Developer option > USB debugging > Enable.
- Download ZCX TWRP Installer tool into your PC and extract its package. WinZIP or WinRAR will come in handy for this task.
- Download latest version of SuperSU here but do not extract the package. At the time of writing, it is SuperSU v2.82.
- Make sure you have also created backup of all your data, files, apps, music, songs, movies, contact, etc. This procedure will format and reset all your data.
- You will also need a USB cable and of course a computer.
- Do not forget to make sure the battery capacity of your phone is not below 60%.
Please proceed with caution. We hold no responsibility of what is going to happen and all of its risks. Again, proceed responsibly. By following this article we assume that you knew what you are doing (what is root, why should I root, what risks of rooting, etc.).
Also read: How to flash TWRP and to Root Redmi 4X.
Step 1 – Turn off your phone completely.
Step 2 – Reboot into Fastboot mode by pressing the Power button and Volume down (-) button at the same time until you have seen the Mi Bunny logo and the Fastboot text.
Step 3 – Now connect your phone to your PC using its USB cable.
Step 4 – In your computer, launch Windows Explorer and go to the folder / location of where you have extracted the TWRP Installer tool above.
Step 5 – Now right-click on the “FlashTWRP.bat” file and choose “Run as administrator“.
Step 6 – Upon its first launching, the tool will automatically detect your device whether it is connected or it is not.
make sure it looks something like this one below which means your device has been connected succesfully:
if not, you may need to reinstall its USB driver or try using another USB cable.
Step 7 – Next, it is the easiest part: Press any key on your keyboard to start flashing TWRP. Once done, it will look like this one below:
Step 8 – As you may see on the screen, the next step is also simple. Just press any key on your keyboard again and your device will reboot into TWRP.
Setting Up TWRP
Step 9 – Your phone will now enter TWRP Recovery mode. It will then ask you for a password. Simply tap on Cancel.
Step 10 – The default language of ZCX TWRP is Chinese. Therefore, you may change it to English by tapping on the buttons as illustrated below (click on image to see its larger version):
How to Root
Step 11 – Now since TWRP is now in English, it will be easier for you to start rooting. First thing first, we have to reset the data (that’s why you need to take backup). Tap the Wipe button in TWRP.
Step 12 – In this stage you are going to Wipe data, cache and dalvik cache. You need to confirm it by doing Swipe to Right.
Once done, you will see something like this:
Step 11 and 12 above are necessary in order to avoid error. Hence, backing up your data is inevitable. However, that can also be the solution to solve Data Storage Encryption Error in TWRP installed on Android 7.0+.
Step 13 – Now reboot the system.
Step 14 – While your phone is still connected to the computer and it has been rebooted into normal mode, transfer the SuperSU .zip file into the internal storage of your phone. It is better to put it in the root directory or not inside any folder for easy accessing.
Step 15 – Now you can disconnect your phone from the computer.
Step 16 – Now turn off your phone completely.
Step 17 – Then reboot into TWRP Recovery by pressing Power button and Volume Up (+) button all together simultaneously.
Step 18 – Once it enters TWRP, choose “Install“.
Step 19 – Now find and choose the SuperSU .zip file that you have copied earlier. Simply tap on it.
Step 20 – You will then see something like this as confirmation for you to double-check it.
Step 21 – Now do the “Swipe to confirm Flash“.
Step 22 – Once done, you will see the Success message displayed at the top. Now you can reboot again into System.
Step 23 – That’s all. Upon rebooting, you will see a new app installed called SuperSU. You can open it to see its settings and make adjustment if necessary. However, its default settings are more than enough for your daily root things.
You can also double-check its root status by installing Root Checker app from Play Store.
More stuff like this in your inbox
New tips, tricks, interesting apps and tools. Weekly update with no spammy message. We promise!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.