Replace stock MIUI recovery on your Redmi 5A device with the world’s most popular custom recovery: TWRP. By doing so, you will be able to flash any custom packages like SuperSU or Magisk to gain root access. Furthermore, using TWRP allows you to flash custom ROM effortlessly. Nevertheless, installing a custom recovery on a Xiaomi device requires you to firstly unlock the bootloader. The process is basically painless but it requires official permission from MIUI Dev team. You can read our comprehensive guide on how to unlock MIUI bootloader.
Xiaomi Redmi 5A is a very affordable smartphone offering advantages in terms of hardware specifications and enhanced features through MIUI 9. The device sports Qualcomm MSM8917 chipset with Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53 Snapdragon 425 CPUs. It also features a 13 MP rear camera with an aperture of f/2.2. The 5MP front-facing camera allows you to take a perfect selfie.
Here on this page, you can download version 3.2.1-0 of TWRP Recovery for Redmi 5A codename Riva. The flashable .img file is compressed in a single .zip file, and hence you will need to extract its content using either WinRAR or Winzip. Despite we provide the file via the direct link, we strongly suggest you grab the file from its official download page particularly if you want to check the availability of its latest version.
Official TWRP page:
The older version (v3.1.1-0):
Orginal download page:
Words of caution!
TWRP is an alternative custom recovery that built very device-specific. That means you can install TWRP for Redmi 5A on other devices. Hence, do not try flashing this file on Redmi 5 (Rosy) or Redmi 5 Plus (Vince).
General guidelines on how to install:
- Unlock your device bootloader.
- Download and extract the “.zip” package to obtain the flashable “.img” file.
- Rename the .img file from whatever its name into recovery.img.
- Install Minimal ADB Fastboot driver on your computer.
- Connect your phone to the computer using its USB data cable. Make sure the connection mode is MTP.
- In Windows Explorer, go to the folder of where the recovery.img file is located.
- Hold Shift button and right-click on any area in that folder then choose “Open Command Window from here”.
- Type adb reboot bootloader. This will reboot your phone into Fastboot mode.
- Next, issue this command to flash twrp: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Also type this command once the flashing process is done: fastboot boot recovery.img.
- Download DM No verity and transfer it to your phone.
- Choose Install from TWRP main menu.
- Locate the No Verity package file and flash it. This is needed to avoid bootloop after flashing a custom recovery.
- Reboot your phone and unplug it from the computer.
You can read our detailed and focused tutorial on how to install TWRP on Redmi 5A here.